Residence FAQs

Residence FAQs

How do I apply for residence?

You must submit the Residence Application Form. First year students are required to live in residence, unless they live at home or are married. Upper-class students can live in residence either full-time or part-time.

When can I move into residence?

The residence opens for first year students on Labour Day Sunday in the Fall semester and the Sunday following New Year’s Day in the Winter semester.

How are roommates assigned?

Roommates are generally assigned based on the preference that you indicate when you submit your Residence Application Form. Both students must indicate their preference for the request to be considered. If no preference is indicated, the Student Development Office will select a roommate for you.

What are in standard residence rooms? What should I bring for my residence room?

Each residence room has two desks, two dressers, two wardrobes, two chairs and two beds. You will need to bring bedding, pillows, towels/face cloths and personal items to make your room “homey”. Some students bring a small fridge, a microwave and TV/DVD. Each floor of the residence is equipped with a large flat screen TV in the common area but it cannot be used for gaming.

What am I NOT allowed to have in my room?

You are NOT allowed to have any open element appliance such as a coffee maker, kettle, toaster/toaster oven or hot plate in your room due to fire regulations. The common area (kitchenette) will have a kettle, coffeemaker and microwave for your use. Pets are also not permitted in the residence.

Are laundry facilities provided?

Laundry facilities are provided on each floor for on-campus students only.  Laundry cards are available from the Director of Student Development.  Students can add money to these cards by using the machine located on the main level of the atrium by the west entrance.

Do I have to purchase a meal plan?

Yes, all full-time students who live in residence must purchase a meal plan. Students must show their Student ID Cards, which will indicate if they have purchased a meal plan, in order for them to obtain their meals in the cafeteria. Any student who wants to opt out of the meal plan must contact the Director of Student Services and Registrar and be able to provide the necessary documentation (e.g. doctor’s note for medical reasons) prior to opting out of the meal plan. Commuter students can purchase meals directly from the cafeteria.

Can I leave residence for overnights?

Yes, but you do need to sign the Residence Sign-Out Form so that you can be contacted in case of an emergency.

Is there a curfew in residence?

Yes. All first-year campus students in the Certificate, Diploma and Bachelor of Theology programs are required to be on their residence floor by 12:00 am from Sunday – Wednesday and by 1:00 am from Thursday – Saturday. Check the Curfew Policy in the Residence Life Handbook for additional information.

Who should I contact if I have additional questions?

You can contact Sue James, Director of Student Development, if you have any additional questions.